Monday, January 12, 2015

Main bathroom remodel officially done!

We finally added the finishing touches to our main bathroom.  One year, 1 month after it was started, it is officially complete!  In this process, we also upgraded the electric panel and changed to copper piping throughout the downstairs, running upstairs.  The floor needed to be reinforced as well.  We think it looks great!!


We even replaced the door and casing.  Not only does it look better, but it matches the downstairs master bedroom doorway.

Sean and I did all the work for this remodel, except for having the plumber put the tub in (because of Sean's broken foot), and having the plumber fix the leak from the upstairs bathroom, and doing the copper upgrade.  The plumber actually mixed up the hot and cold, so Sean fixed that.  :D

I got a little picky on finishings.  I like the straight lines of the tile work in the shower surround and on the floor paired with everything else being rounded/curvy.  Seems a bit more elegant AND cozy to me. 


We even have baseboards that match what we've put into the rest of the house.

I was so picky on the curvy lines that we even got this specific door handle.
Sean added some legality to the hidden junction box behind that white square.  No more illegal junction boxes for us!

Picky, picky.  I was even picky about the toilet flusher.  And the shower door handle.  And the toilet paper holder and towel holders.  And the faucets and shower head.   I just cannot help myself!  
I love the cherry wood of the curved vanity and mirror and how it pairs with the tile, and although EVERYONE says blue and brown don't go together, THIS bathroom looks fabulous.  


Recently added backsplash.  It really ties it all together!  I love that Sean was able to inset the side medicine cabinet so that it seems more roomy in a rather tight bathroom.

This vanity was one of the very first pieces we got for the bathroom.  I consider it my inspiration piece with its curvy front and clean white top.  Bonus - no more nasty shell sink that is nearly impossible to clean!

No more mold issues with newly added ventilation!  We loved Sean's parents nightlight fixture in their bathroom overhead, so we found one, too.  It's a great light/nightlight/vent/heater option that isn't too noisy, while still being a very effective vent in a very humid bathroom.  I am not particularly on board with the plastic look, however, all the brushed nickel options were too chinzy and were known to rust out within a year.  That's just goofy.

I really like the cracked glass tile we did in the shower surround and the backsplash.  I also am totally loving how the tile plays with the deco around the mirror and the curves in the fixtures.

So, bathroom is done.  Next remodel is the kitchen.  That is several years off as we save for it.  It is much more costly than the bathroom, and will impact us much more severely 
(it can NOT take over a year!).  

Next, our small scale fix up is the back yard!  We've been slowly working on this.  There was a lot of broken glass and a lot of rubish metal and overgrown plants.  For now it is safe for kids and dog to play, but we need to make it look nice now, too.  Someday, when we finish this house......

No comments: