Thursday, December 25, 2008

Sleepless with joy

It is 3:30 am on Christmas Morning. Santa has been here, eaten the cookies and slurped the milk. I can't sleep because I keep replaying Christmas Eve Service over and over and thinking about how proud I am of my children.

Both shy, Schuyler more-so than Emma, both agreed to speaking lines - recited bible verses - and for my dear Emma, a singing solo as well.

What you would have heard and seen if you could have been there was a fabulous performance by all 6 children involved! I'll focus on mine, because, well...that doesn't need explanation. :)

Schuylers' lines were flawlessly spoken, with proper pauses and diction. The back row could hear him although he has struggled with his volume during practice. He took every cue and even smiled a bit. This is a mighty accomplishment for Schuyler, who never opts to speak in public and certainly had wanted to be on break from the memory work!

Emma had the loudest, most powerful voice, although she was the smallest there. From 3 1/2 feet off the ground she was heard above all during every song and her spoken lines were certainly the loudest (just shy of shouting - in a good way). She remembered all her lines in her solo and remembered who to look at to be directed and even smiled at a littler toddler friend that was excited to stand next to her and tried to sing along, even though it was her solo (it was adorable!!). She was flawless until her very last spoken line when she suddenly forgot her verse half way through and my poor child looked like she was going to cry. But she controlled her breathing, got herself under control and got the words quietly from the Sunday School director and went on like nothing had happened.

No mom would be prouder and feel more blessed than I, tonight, sleepless on Christmas.

No comments: