Day 5 was met by tired cranky people after tired cranky kids fought all night and kept their parents up. Between the hours of 6 and 7 am there was actually squabbling mixed with cover jacking and actual pillow fights. Yes, I said it. Pillow fights. Not of the friendly school girl sort. Emma tried to take her brother out and he retaliated, back and forth. No one was very happy this morning.
Schuyler seems to have caught that cold so he was out of sorts with that as well. We went to breakfast where we were offered white flour and sugar everything. Waffles, white bread for toast, and lucky charms. Eeek. Emma didn't even know what Lucky Charms were. We let her try them and she was shocked by how sugary those marshmallows were, and didn't want any more. That's my girl.
We did some laundry since we were all out of clothes and the state of Arizona frowns on nudity. Based on earlier posts you might have guessed that I do as well. We got packed up after Schuyler had a little more rest time and we were on our way, one hour drive up to the Grand Canyon!
Busy! People everywhere! It was insane. The main overlook was jam packed full of people. By main I mean the main one we were at, and I don't exactly remember where that is...I'm geographically challenged...we can all be impressed I found my way out of the womb. We went straight north from Williams, if that helps anyone who cares. So we went down first a rim trail and then some trail with Angel in the name (kids are sleeping as I type so getting a map out isn't going to happen). We went down pretty far - it was awesome! Ooh, Sean just looked it up: Bright Angel Trail. Thanks Sean! The enormity of the canyon can seriously only be taken in while there. No amount of looking at a map or Google, or even Google Earth can give you any account of the 'take your breath away' sight you are about to see. New to my bucket list: hike rim to rim.
Rode the bus back to the visitor center where Emma proceeded to claim she was hungry, needed to go to the bathroom, and read every placard again.
Forced nap time once we were back on the highway, and both kids fell asleep. Thank goodness! Mom dozed for a minute as well, so it's good Dad could hold down the swagga'wagon. Into Kingsman we came, in time to be informed there were fireworks tonight! The whole town pitched in to get enough fireworks for an extra 10 minutes or so! We checked in to the Best Western Kings Inn and headed over to the diner next door - JB's. Another country type cooking place, but I got a burger and they had super yummy watermelon and pineapple. I've been a bit fruit deprived, in case you were wondering. I was also happy for protein after my weird white flour and sugar breakfast (followed by peanut butter and nutella sandwiches we made at the Canyon....'cause we're cheap...and they were quick!).
Then we hit the pool and hot tub for about 1/2 hour before jammies and heading out to sit on a ginormous red Arizona rock next to Rt 66 to watch the 35 minute long fireworks display. Very cool for such a small town!
The hotel seems very nice, a step up from what we usually get. This one has an added little space with a sofa, chair and coffee table, which is where the adults are now while the kids should be getting to sleep. Plus...added bonus...whoever gets in trouble by waking a parent during the night sleeps on the couch. Or the floor if we're not in bed by then...clearly the 4th day is where the family starts to fall apart just a little bit.
The kids saw all the RV's at the canyon today and were a little jealous. I'm pretty sure someone would have died by now if we were doing that! At least this way we have a little bit of space and a different hotel to explore each night!
Tomorrow we're getting a late start as check out isn't until 12 and we're going to swim a bit. Then it's off to the Hoover Dam, then we'll be in Las Vegas for the night! Sean has some kid friendly stuff planned for us there, plus he's going to play poker tomorrow night (surprise, surprise). Likely I'll have an internet connection most of the day tomorrow - I had nothing on my phone all day today once we left the hotel, until getting back to this hotel tonight. It stressed me out a little, but then I remembered that the only reason someone might need to get a hold of me is about my kids and they're with me, so no worries! It's vacation!
Total miles: 231
Diet cokes: 1 1/2
Wednesday, July 4, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment