Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Great Walker Road Trip, Day 1

Day started with no sleep and a late go time.  The drive was great, even with the brush fire along 101 in Gilroy.  Beautiful hills and rock formations jutting out.  Monterey Bay is a fabulous blend of greens and blues, with pale sand that invites you in (but we didn't go just yet!).

We stopped at Dennis the Menace Park for lunch where the geese were incredibly friendly and follow you (of course, they think you're going to feed them). 

Then off to the aquarium.  Emma was in her element with all the animals.  She should be gathering lots of opinion piece ideas, with garbage in the oceans, the killing of sharks, bad farming of fish.  Her looks of wonder at all the aquatic life was so fun to see!  She was especially smitten with the sea otters and the penguins.  Emma is the child that stops to read every placard, despite the fact that she asked to leave because she's "ravenous!"  

Schuyler was excited to see everything, flitting from one exhibit to another.  I'm happy to still see that look of wonder in his eyes as well, the child has not left the teenager yet!

Night life is apparently the thing in Monterey.  The girls apparel leaves much to be desired (and much fabric not on the girl!).  I felt like screaming "Nike!" at Schuyler every two seconds (if you've watched the Duggars, you know what I'm talking about!).

Bubba Gump in Monterey for supper.  Fun mix of waitstaff getting fired and another waiter dumping a frozen drink on someone.  Probably could have found better food, cheaper, elsewhere, but we were famished (or ravenous, to quote Emma). 

At the hotel.  Ew.  Spontaneity isn't my strong suit.  Pubic hair in the bathtub, wad of hair in the sink drain, moldy food left in the fridge.  I get that they've been busy, but yuck!  The control freak in me is trying to be okay with that.

I think the agenda for tomorrow is play at Dennis the Menace park, visit the beach quickly, drive farther south to Hearst castle for a tour, drive more toward LA, maybe get near Santa Barbara for the night.


mileage: exactly 100 miles!
picnic lunch at Dennis the Menace park
Monterey Bay Aquarium
Bubba Gump, Monterey, for supper
Best Western Beach Dunes Inn - Marina, CA

Not as funny as I try to be...I'll try to do better!  Still thrown off by all that hair!!! :(

No comments: