Today Max and I took to the trail again. Now that he's better about the dogs in fences (and not lunging after them, thus tearing me off the trail) we can do this again!
There was a different air today. Two days after Boston seemed very different than one day after. Today there were bicyclists out with race shirts on, and lots of walkers and runners. And again today I wore my Nike Marathon shirt. The air was not one of hostility or uncertainty. Every single person along the way nodded, smiled, said "hello" or "good morning". Very different than usual.
I have no right to claim to be affected by what happened in Boston. I have family there, some who were at the race, and by the grace of God they are okay, as are their friends. I wasn't there. But it still breaks my heart. Half of my run today I was trying not to cry; I can still run...my dog and I.
I'm happy that the running community can rally together. It takes crazy people to run 26.2 miles. It takes crazy people to spectate at those events as well. It will take all of us united to fight back against the hostility shown in Boston on Monday. In our actions of standing tall, standing proud, we can fight back.
I have many thoughts about little 8 year old Martin Richard. A sweet and innocent life was taken too soon. My thoughts shift to my own children, currently 14 and 9, one a runner already. What must I do to protect them? Honestly...there isn't much in terms of this heinous crime. I will not allow my children to live in fear, but rather to enjoy life. Stand up to the bad. Lend a hand to those in need. Keep running. Keep smiling. I'll do the same.
Wednesday, April 17, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment